Public Corporation Plant No.9 (PC Plant No. 9) starts its history in 1942 on the 30th of October, when the National Defence Committee resolved to organize an independent Ural Artillery Plant named after Iosif Stalin with Special Design Office No.9. The plant was organized on the premises of the artillery production site of the Ural Heavy Engineering Works.
The first director of the Plant was Mr. Lev R. Gonor, Major-General of the artillery-engineering service, a Stalin Prize Laureate. He was awarded with the Gold Star of the Socialist Labour Hero, with three Lenin orders, the Red Star order, the World War II order, and the Kutuzov order.
In 1958 the plant was again integrated into the Ural Heavy Engineering Works as a small-batch manufacturing. In 1993 this manufacturing became a part of the Serial Machines Plant being the branch of JSC Uralmash, and after that a part of Close Corporation Spetstekhnika. The latter was liquidated by Regulation No. 886 of the 6th of September, 1995, of the Russian Federation Government. After that Plant No.9 was re-established as State Unitary Enterprise Plant No. 9 (since 2002 - Federal State Unitary Enterprise Plant No.9), which includes Design Office No.9 named after Fyodor Petrov, a proving ground, a trial workshop, a full-scale production site including workshops equipped with necessary equipment and facility.
At the very beginning of the Plant operation it was decided that its main specialization would be equipping the land forces with tube artillery.
During World War II the Plant supplied a large amount of towed howitzers to the troops, i.e. the 122 mm M-30 M1938 and 152 mm D-1 D1943 howitzers that are still in service with some countries. The Plant also armed self-propelled artillery units SU-85, SU-100, SU-122 and ISU-152.
Since 1942 Artillery Plant No.9 developed guns of the best tanks of World War II: 85 mm gun D-5T for tanks T-34 and IS-1, 122 mm gun D-25T for tanks IS-2 and IS-3.
All tanks being in mass production after World War II were armed with guns manufactured by the Plant: 100 mm guns D-10T, D-10TG, D-10T2S were mounted in all variants of tanks T-54 and T-55; 115 mm gun U5TS was mounted in tank T-62; 125 mm guns of the D-81 series were mounted in all variants of tanks T-72, T-64, T-80, T-90, and 76 mm guns D-56, D-56TM, D-56TS – in amphibious tanks PT-76. Design Office No.9 developed guns like world-famous 122 mm howitzer D-30 (2A18) with all-round fire capability, after upgrade – 122 mm howitzer D-30A (2A18M); 122 mm howitzer 2A31 and 152 mm howitzer 2A33 for the first modern home SP howitzers 2S1 Gvozdika and 2S3 Akatziya (2A31 was manufactured by the Plant and 2A33 was put into production at the Motovilikha Plant in Perm and at the Barrikady Plant in Volgograd); and the first home auxiliary-propelled 57 mm and 85 mm guns SD-57 and SD-44 respectively.
Apart from models of classical tube artillery to protect Naval ships against submarines and attack torpedoes the plant put into production Depth-charge Rocket Launchers RBU-6000 and RBU-1000.
Artillery systems developed by Plant No. 9 are in service with more than sixty countries in Europe, Asia, Africa and South America (not counting the CIS countries). Some countries produce them under licence.
Artillery Plant No. 9 was awarded with two orders (the Lenin Order and the first-degree World War II order) for great services in developing new types of artillery arms; Design Office No.9 was awarded with the Lenin Order as well.
"to Artillery Plant No.9 for outstanding contribution to designing new kinds of artillery weapon and for exemplary fulfilment of the tasks assigned by the State Defence Committee. "
"to Design Office No.9 for outstanding contribution to designing new kinds and improving the existing kinds of artillery weapon."
"to Artillery Plant No.9 for successful fulfilling the tasks assigned by the State Defence Committee in providing the Red Army with artillery weapon."
On the 29th of August, 2008, Public Corporation Plant No.9 was registered, and today it is the legal successor of Federal State Unitary Enterprise Plant No.9. The Plant was reorganised by reforming into Public Corporation Plant No. 9 according to Decree No. 1102 of the 27th of August, 2007, of the Russian President, Direction No. 1422-p of the 18th of September, 2007, of the Russian Government, Order No. 10 of 18th September, 2007, of the Federal Agency in Managing the Federal Property, and Direction No. 442 of the 29th of December, 2007, of the Local Administration of Russian Property in Sverdlovsk Region taking into account the changes made by Direction No.233 of the 1st of August, 2008.
The plant Quality Management System is certified by Certification Body ROSTEHCERT Ltd. (http://www.rostehcert.ru) for compliance with requirements set by Standards ISO 9001:2008, GOST P ISO 9001-2008 and GOST P PB 15.002-2003 in respect to development, manufacture, and repair of artillery arms and Naval depth-charge rocket launchers (categories of EKÏÑ codes: 1015, 1020, 1025, 1045), as well as products and component parts of road-building, transport and agricultural machines. By results of certification PC Plant No.9 has got International Certificates Quality Austria and IQnet, and Russian Conformance Certificate GOST P, and The Certificate of the Facultative Certification System Military Register.